Friday 8 October 2010

Bird Nests!

The summer holidays are the perfect opportunity to further develop illustration skills as well as work on something I am truly interested in at the same time. I needed a subject that could be viewed first-hand in which I could properly investigate and really get to know. Luckily when I arrived home from Carlisle I found that there was two(!) abandoned chaffinch nests in the garden, and so, I set myself a personal project to study bird's nests. I set out to explore these lovely creations and as many ways possible. 

Initial pencil studies

Acrylic study of light on dark


white on brown

I began to become influenced by the art nouveau movement in this one: 




Painting with twigs and using leaves for stencil effect:








 Bringing techniques together; watercolours on top of an initial pencil drawing:



 Ink pen studies 


 More watercolour on pencil with fine liners and gel pens to add detail:


 

Ink with watercolour and pen for up-view studies:


 

Blended watercolours for a more abstract approach:



Pencil and pencil crayons with watercolours: I found this created a softer, much more natural look.








 More white on brown:




 A few sketchbook spread scans to show how they are in the flesh:




1 comment:

  1. Brilliant ! I have a few birds nests and my current project is to try and figure out how to draw them in watercolour pencil. I have been looking at a few blogs and books (Maryjo Koch is my favourite so far). But your experiments are inspirational I will learn alot by looking at them and the techniques you have used. Thanks for sharing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alissaduke/

    ReplyDelete